Green-walled Garden Club
Established in 1956, the Green-walled Garden Club started with 12 women who collaborated to meet the criteria of the Federated Garden Clubs of Maryland and the National Council. As a result of their efforts, the club joined Maryland’s 5th district in 1958. Inspired by John Greenleaf Whittier’s famous poem, Barbara Fritchie, the club created the name Green-walled from a line in the poem. The club currently has 30 active members and 9 associate members.
Members of the Green-walled Garden Club actively support civic projects in Frederick City and the outlying county. They help beautify Frederick by contributing to various projects, including:
- Flowers over Frederick, a beautification project to fund hanging baskets which adorn light posts in downtown Frederick
- Maintenance of public gardens on 6th and 7th streets
- Youth therapy at Rock Creek School. Rock Creek School features individualized special education program for students with severe intellectual, physical, emotional, hearing, visual and learning disabilities, from age 3 to 21.
- Provided landscaping for the Delaplaine Art Center, Montevue Assisted Living facility and Catoctin Nature Center
- Donated funding for the Culler Lake renovation and the linear park in downtown Frederick
In addition, the club participated in Celebrate Frederick’s Historic Candlelight House Tour and transformed a house into a holiday treat inside and out with fresh greens and seasonal décor. The organization is proud of the efforts and contributions they have been able to make in Frederick thus far and with your support of the garden tour, hope to continue these efforts in the future.
For more information about the club, click here.