Board of Directors Information
Celebrate Frederick, Inc. is looking for individuals interested in fulfilling our mission “to plan and implement special events and activities to offer the Frederick community a shared cultural experience” through service on our Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
The Board and Executive Committee will fulfill the mission of Celebrate Frederick, Inc. by leading, advising, and supporting the organization. While day-to-day operations are led by the City of Frederick Office of Special Events Staff, the Board-Staff relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Scroll down the page or click on a topic below for more information
|Terms and Commitments|
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Celebrate Frederick’s mission. Candidates must have innate leadership, management and interpersonal skills, patience and good humor, and must be able to participate in and sustain collaborative group efforts.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of Celebrate Frederick’s beneficiaries, preferably based on event attendance
- Diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for enriching the lives of Celebrate Frederick’s beneficiaries
- Service on Celebrate Frederick’s Board of Directors is without remuneration
Terms and Commitments
Celebrate Frederick’s Board Members (Directors) will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-election for two additional terms. Board meetings will be held monthly in the evening ten (10) times per year.
Celebrate Frederick’s Executive Committee (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Vice Treasurer and Secretary) will serve a one-year term to be eligible for annual re-election. Executive Committee meetings will be held monthly ten (10) times per year.
All members of the board of directors will be responsible for serving as a member of one (1) event or standing committee. Committee Meetings are held monthly five (5) to ten (10) times per year based on committee planning necessities.
All members of the board of directors are expected to volunteer a minimum of one (1) shift [an average of 3 hours each] for the following Celebrate Frederick events:
- Frederick’s 4th (July 4) OR In the Street (Second Saturday in September)
- Beyond the Garden Gates Tour (Third Saturday & Sunday in May) OR Candlelight House Tour (First Saturday & Sunday in December)
- Summer Concert Series (Sunday Evenings in June, July and August)
- Frederick Wine Festival (First Saturday in August)
- One (1) of the following Holidays in Historic Frederick events:
- Holiday Art Competition (First Wednesday in December)
- Scents & Sweets Competition and Auction (First Thursday in December)
- Kris Kringle Procession (Second Friday in December)
- Work with the Executive Director to create a strategic direction for the organization and set short and long term goals in line with metrics created by Celebrate Frederick for evaluating impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics.
- Attend ten (10) monthly meetings, prepared to further the success of Celebrate Frederick and to support Celebrate Frederick’s mission statement and goals by:
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to meeting attendance
- Subscriptions to electronic newsletter and social media accounts
- Approve Celebrate Frederick’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contribute to the identification of the following:
- Eligible candidates for the nomination of officers and directors
- Potential funding sources and serves as a representative in securing funding
- Serve as a board liaison to one (1) Celebrate Frederick event or standing committee
- Act as an ambassador for the organization.
All applicants will be reviewed by the Celebrate Frederick Nominating Committee for potential to be slated for vote by the current Board of Directors during our monthly meeting on the second Monday of November.
All applicants will be notified post meeting with election results and position offer(s).
The term for this position(s) will begin in January of the upcoming year.